Thursday, July 8, 2010

DataDataData


It has been collecting time for the past couple weeks here in the Fields lab. I did a couple runs of filming and analyzing groups of barnacles feeding to find their beat frequency. Here's a graph showing 9 barnacles and their responses to the change in temperature. I'll hopefully be able to upload a little video clip to show what I've been looking at, but right now the file size is waaaay too large.

The grazing experiments are well underway. I did a preliminary experiment with just a couple rocks filled with barnacles to see if 4 hours is enough time for them to eat enough to make a difference. And it is! They ate about 30% of what I gave them, which was Thallasiosira weissfloggi (TW for short, a type of algae). Today I started a culture of TW which will hopefully grow like crazy and be ready for barnacle grazing on Sunday/Monday.
Now the only thing left to tackle is the boundary layer/reynolds number calculations...

No comments: